Science at the Amigos School is based on Cambridge Public
Schools’ Habits of Mind K-8 curriculum. In Habits of Mind, the goal is
for students to learn by doing and to be “doing science as scientists
- In Kindergarten, students begin their science study with the units Sand & Water and Animals Two by Two.
- In 1st grade, the units include Weather & Me, Living Things and Balls & Ramps.
- Second graders learn about Soils, Animal Life Cycles and Liquids.
- In 3rd grade, students cover Rocks & Minerals, Plant Growth & Development and Habitats.
- In 4th grade, the units are Investigating the Changing Earth, Sun & Shadows and Circuits and Pathways.
- Grade 5 units include Magnets and Motors, Packaging Simple Mechanisms and Weather & Water.
- In 6th grade, students learn about Ecosystems, Human Body Systems and Designing Cars.
- In 7th and 8th grades, students follow the units of Physical
Science (Fall), Earth Science (Winter) and Life Science (Spring). 7th
graders learn Heat, Energy and Matter, Atmosphere, Hydrosphere and
Geosphere and Diversity of Life. 8th graders learn about Physics,
Astronomy and end with Genetics and Evolution.
For more information on CPS science, click here.