José Rivera is the Latino Community Liaison.
This is a city-wide position serving all of the Cambridge Public Schools.
What does the Latino Community Liaison do?
- Works with Latino parents to improve the academic performance of
their children, through home tutoring and modeling as well as the
facilitation of communication with school staff.
- Helps Latino families feel at home in Cambridge by providing moral
support and understanding; pointing out the value and diversity that
immigrants bring to this community; and providing families with
information, so they can make educated choices about their children’s
- Provides support for liaisons, teachers, and administrators in helping Latino families across the city.
- Serves as interpreter for Individualized Education Plans (IEP),
parent-teacher conferences, workshops, and the registration process.
- Attends and provides outreach for the Amigos Parent Council (APC) and supports the APC coordinators in their efforts.
- Attends Amigos School Council and Staff meetings in order to stay informed and provide institutional support there.
- Connects families to resources across the city (library, hospitals, housing).
Where does the Latino Community Liaison work?
- In every school in the city when needed.
- The Family Resource Center (459 Broadway, Cambridge) on Mondays (8AM - 12Noon) and Tuesdays (9:15AM – 1:15PM) or by appointment.
José’s telephone number is: 617.999.8472.