My name is Lillian Rater. I have been the Amigos Family Liaison
for 15 years and have served on the Amigos School Council during most of
that time. I have four children that went through the dual immersion
program at Amigos and they are all bilingual and very happy that they
went to the Amigos School.
My family is from Puerto Rico and my first language is Spanish. I was
born in Harlem in New York City and graduated with a BA in Biology and
worked as a Research Technician at Columbia University’s Black Building
in Washington Heights. I met my husband while working there and we
married and moved to Madison, Wisconsin, where I got an Elementary
Education Degree from UW Madison. We moved to Cambridge for my husband’s
residency program and found the Amigos School, one of the best things
that happened to our family. We only meant to stay during his residency
but as time passed and our family established friendships, we grew to
love Cambridge and it has become our home.
I am fully committed to the dual immersion model, my work as a family
liaison and being a member of the Amigos School Council. I am
passionate about the Amigos School, our students, families and the
Amigos Staff. I feel very fortunate to love what I do.
What does the Family Liaison Do?
- Welcome families to the Amigos School and try to make them feel at home
- Build a sense of community among students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Advocate for Amigos families to insure that their needs are met.
- Inform parents about the two-way bilingual model.
- Give tours of the Amigos School to prospective families and educators from around the world.
- Member of the Amigos School Council (ASC)
- Produce the monthly calendar.
- Provide support for the Amigos School Newsletter.
- Assist in fundraising efforts for the school.
- Help organize the yearly school events: such as Kindergarten
Orientation, Open House, Parent/Teacher Conferences, and Teacher
- Interpreter for Spanish-monolingual families.
- Translation of written information.
Family Liaison Hours: 9AM – 2PM
Amigos conducts tours on Tuesdays and other days by appointment. For a school tour, please call Lillian Rater at 617.349.6315.
Latino Community Liaison: José Rivera. This is a city-wide position serving all of the Cambridge Public Schools. His telephone number is: 617.999.8472.